Sunday, December 7, 2008

Uncool in the City

I spent some time in Seattle yesterday; I rarely go into the city, it's just too much of a pain in the ass with a three year old in tow, but this weekend was the Urban Craft Uprising show at Seattle Center so I left my boys in suburbia and traveled south.
I've never felt completely at ease in the crafting world. I am confident in my ability and my products, but I feel self-conscious around the hip, edgy artists that inhabit the handmade world as I know it. I'm a suburban mom, so far away from hip it's ridiculous. I don't own a cool thrifted peacoat. My shirts don't have ironic witticisms emblazoned across them. I don't think I own one piece of clothing that has a skull on it. Know what I mean?
You'd think that by the time I hit my mid-thirties all this insecurity shit would be a thing of the past. Unfortunately, every time I go to Seattle and mingle among the hipsters I die a little inside. I guess I feel like I missed my chance to be cool.

1 comment:

Mrs. Flinger said...

That's how I feel at Magnason Indoor Play Area. Those moms are all hip with their REI shoes and/or "green" eco-friendly clothes giving their kids the organic crap from Whole Foods that cost three times as much as the pesticide banana I just gave my child and the cheerio I picked up from the floor.

So yea, I know, mid-thirties and thirteen. I get it.